Suspect was flagged to police as being radicalized – POLITICO

Suspect was flagged to police as being radicalized – POLITICO



A man who was flagged to police as showing signs of radicalization after converting to Islam killed five people with a bow and arrow in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg.

During a press conference Thursday morning, officers said that the attacker has converted to Islam and had been contacted by police in 2020, as there were concerns about radicalization, regional police chief Ole Bredrup Sæverud said.

According to police, the suspect is a 37-year-old Danish man who lived in Kongsberg, 80 kilometers southwest of Oslo.

Police on Thursday afternoon said the incident was likely an act of terrorism.

The suspect’s lawyer told Norwegian public broadcaster NRK: “He is cooperating and is giving detailed statements regarding this event.”

Senior politicians delivered messages of sympathy.

“Our thoughts go first of all to those affected and their relatives,” said outgoing Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg.

Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen expressed her condolences via Twitter. “It is with great sadness that I have received the news of the terrible attack in Kongsberg. My thoughts and deepest sympathy go out to the victims and their loved ones.”





Source link

Share:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Rachel Meadows

Rachel Meadows

Trending topics news writer who enjoys cooking, walking her dog and travel.

Related Posts