If you are looking for the perfect pairing for your seafood, this tartar sauce is IT! It’s packed with flavor and has a deliciously creamy consistency to complement any dish!
I love using sauces and dips to elevate every meal! Some of my other favorite sauces that I use all of the time are this homemade cheese sauce, this homemade teriyaki sauce, and this fantastic yum yum sauce!
What is Tartar Sauce?
If you have never had tartar sauce before then you are in for a delicious surprise! Tartar sauce is typically used on seafood that has been fried and has a crispy outside. Like crab cakes or fish sticks! A lot of people think that it’s just mayonnaise. And while the base of the sauce is made from mayo, it has a lot of flavors infused into the mix that makes it a little bit tart with a sweet aftertaste.
Tartar sauce is a classic condiment that you see offered at many restaurants, but there is no reason to go out to eat to have this delectable dip! You can whip this up in your own home in less than 5 minutes. Store it in your fridge and create delicious seafood dishes to go with it all week long! Or, this sauce also goes really well with vegetables too! Try dipping in some crispy asparagus or these delicious air fryer avocado fries!
Ingredients to Make Tartar Sauce
This list is simple and easy enough that you should be able to make this at the drop of a hat, whenever you want! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Mayonnaise: This is the base of the sauce that you will mix all of the delicious flavors into!
- Lemon: Use the juice from a fresh lemon. It has more flavor and adds birghtnesss to the sauce that lemon juice from a bottle can’t do.
- Dill Pickles: Dice up your dill pickles into small pieces so that you can have some in every single bite!
- Dill: Use fresh dill and chop is up so that it mixes well.
- Dried Minced Onion: The onion brings a fantastic flavor!
- Salt and Pepper: Salt and pepper will enhance all of the other flavors in the sauce.
How Do You Make Tartar Sauce?
Take 5 minutes to make this sauce and your seafood (or any fried foods!) will taste that much better! Lucky for you, this sauce is quick and easy and tastes better than if you bought it from the store!
- Add Ingredients: In a medium sized bowl add the mayo, lemon juice, dill pickles, dill, minced onion, and salt and pepper.
- Stir: Stir it all together to combine. Then, serve immediately or chill.
If you are wondering how you use tartar sauce or what you serve it with, then look no further! Here are a few recipes that you MUST TRY with this tartar sauce. These recipes are delightful on their own but this tartar sauce just adds a little something extra!
How to Store Leftovers
Once you have made your tartar sauce, then place it in an airtight container. Store the tartar sauce in your fridge for up to 2 weeks!
In a medium sized bowl add the mayo, lemon juice, dill pickles, dill, minced onion, and salt and pepper.
Stir it all together to combine. Serve immediately or chill.
Calories391kcal (20%)Carbohydrates3g (1%)Protein1g (2%)Fat42g (65%)Saturated Fat7g (35%)Polyunsaturated Fat25gMonounsaturated Fat9gTrans Fat1gCholesterol24mg (8%)Sodium743mg (31%)Potassium68mg (2%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar1g (1%)Vitamin A75IU (2%)Vitamin C2mg (2%)Calcium18mg (2%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.