Categories
Entertaiment

Deadliest Catch Star Mahlon Reyes Dead at 38


Mahlon Reyes, who worked as a deckhand on Deadliest Catch, has died, E! News has learned.

The reality TV personality was only 38 years old. Discovery Channel confirmed Reyes’ death to us and said it was “very sad news.” Their statement read, “Our thoughts and prayers go to his family.”

Moreover, the Flathead County Sheriff’s Office told E! News Reyes passed away in his hometown of Whitefish, Montana. At this time, the star’s official cause of death is pending as they await the autopsy and toxicology reports.

According to TMZ, who first broke the news, Reyes passed away after suffering from a heart attack on Saturday, July 25. Reye’s wife, Heather Sullivan, told the publication that her husband was hospitalized soon after.

While Reyes survived the heart attack, Sullivan explained that he never regained consciousness and was taken off life support the following day. The star’s wife also stated that he didn’t have any known pre-existing health conditions.



Source link

Categories
Breaking New

Authorities catch one violent escaped inmate; another remains on the lam, Mississippi officials say



The MBI, the US Marshals Service and state Department of Corrections took David May, 42, into custody Sunday, the bureau said in a news release.

The 2011 GMC pickup truck used in the escape has been recovered and is being processed by the MBI crime scene unit.

Escapee Dillion Williams, 27, has not been captured, authorities said. Officials describe him as a 6-foot-2, 175-pound African American with a light complexion. The men escaped Friday, authorities said.

Corrections officials discovered May and Williams were missing from the Mississippi State Penitentiary in Parchman during an emergency inmate count conducted at 1:45 a.m. (2:45 a.m. ET) Saturday. The prison, situated in the Mississippi Delta and known as Parchman Farm, is located about 100 miles south of Memphis, Tennessee.

May is serving a life sentence for two aggravated assault convictions, and Williams is serving 40 years for residential burglary and aggravated assault, officials said.

Violent week for state prisons

The escapes came after a week of disturbances at Mississippi prisons that left five inmates dead, including three at Parchman, officials said.

It’s unclear whether the escapes are related to the violence, some of which was gang related, according to officials.

Sunflower County Coroner Heather Burton last week responded to three fatal stabbings in three days at Parchman, she said in a statement. The first came Wednesday, and Burton was not immediately able to reach the victim because of a gang-related riot, she said. The victim had been pronounced dead by the time she began her investigation, she said.

On Thursday afternoon, she responded to Parchman and found a man had been stabbed in a gang riot and died, and on Friday, she learned a man had been stabbed that morning during an altercation with his cellmate, she said.

The Friday death and a minor fire at Parchman were unrelated to the disturbances, officials said.

One prisoner was killed at South Mississippi Correctional Institution in Leakesville, and another inmate died at Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility in Houston, said Mississippi Corrections Commissioner Pelicia Hall.

Several inmates were injured in the violence.

Conditions stable, officials say

State, private and regional facilities will remain on lockdown during an investigation, officials said. All movement at three state penitentiaries, three privately managed prisons and 15 regional facilities will be limited to emergencies.

Conditions were stable at the prisons as of Sunday, the department of corrections said. The Mississippi Department of Public Safety and State Highway Patrol are assisting the department.

“We are continuing to assess the population,” Hall said. “We are still being very mindful and watchful.”

Hall is stepping down later this month to take a job in the private sector, she said in a statement to CNN affiliate WJTV.

“I am truly excited about the new opportunity I now have because it will allow me to continue being an advocate for criminal justice reform and to support better wages and working conditions for the Department of Corrections employees, for whom I have been honored to serve,” she said.

CNN’s Tina Burnside and Chuck Johnston contributed to this report.



Source link

Categories
Breaking New

Fort Bend County dad stands in school zones with own radar to catch speeders



RICHMOND, Texas (KTRK) — A Fort Bend County dad is running his own radar trap in the absence of law enforcement policing school zones and ticketing speeders.

Cass Mattison said he’s a safety engineer with a son who goes to school in the area. He said he sees drivers blowing through school zones well in excess of the 20 mph speed limit in the morning and afternoon.

“You’ll see them flying through there on their phones, and it’s the children who matter,” he said.

Mattison said he was standing beside Richmond Parkway near Hutchison Elementary on Monday. In one hand is a radar gun and in the other is his cell phone camera. The video shows a marked truck traveling at what his radar clocked well over the speed limit.

The truck belongs to the Fort Bend County Fire Marshal’s office.

Mattison met with Fire Marshal Mark Flathouse, who said he would investigate the matter. Mattison then posted the video to YouTube.

The video did not record the license plate number on the truck, and Flathouse said the trucks are not equipped with GPS, which could track the vehicle’s location.

He also said a directive has been sent to employees in the fire marshal’s office regarding police and procedures, including complying with traffic laws. An internal investigation is underway as well.

Mattison said if a private citizen were to be pulled over, speeding through a school zone, the fine would be expensive.

He said his first concern is the safety of children.

“I’m willing to go all over the county doing this,” he said. “At 6’5″, I stand out on the side of the road with a radar gun. Anything to make people slow down. Whoever they may be.”

RELATED: Houston has some of the best drivers in country: study

Follow Deborah Wrigley on Facebook and Twitter.

Copyright © 2019 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.





Source link

Categories
Breaking New

Want free barbecue for life? Help catch the burglars who stole from this restaurant


The owner of Rusted Silo Southern BBQ & Brew House has put up a mouth-watering reward — free barbecue for life — for information leading to an arrest.

They used a crowbar to force open the front door, unscrewed lights in the dining room, so no one would see them and took an undisclosed amount of money from a cash register, he told CNN. The 100-year-old cash register was destroyed in the process.

A delivery driver reported the break-in early the next morning, when he saw that both the front and side doors of the restaurant had been pried open, according to the Hendricks County Sheriff’s Office, which is investigating the case.

Ecker made wanted posters, which he’s given out to customers and put up in local businesses and even at the sheriff’s office.

“Snitching never tasted so good,” the posters say.

Sheriff Brett Clark told CNN that he’s a fan of the restaurant and that the Eckers are “good people.”
“I personally really like the food and try to visit often,” he said. “Hopefully we will turn something up. I know they have a lot of fans.”

To spread the word further, Ecker offered a discount if customers take a selfie with one of the posters and share them on social media.

The Deep South's most overlooked barbecue states
“Don’t worry we’ll hold your name in the strictest confidence,” Ecker said in a video he posted on Facebook.
However, the gradual weight gain from all the ribs, brisket, chicken and pork butt might be a bit of a giveaway. Ecker told CNN the reward would work out to $25 worth of BBQ per week for the rest of the tipster’s life.

The restaurant is about 30 minutes northwest of Indianapolis and has a lot of loyal customers.

Ecker said they have gotten a few people who’ve dropped a dime on their friends and relatives as a joke — one customer even offered to turn in his mom — but the real leads were going to the sheriff’s office.

Business has been great since the robbery and Ecker said people have come from all over the Indianapolis area to support the restaurant. People have offered to give them new locks and portable cameras and some even offered to spend nights in the parking lot to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

“It just shows the extent of Hoosier hospitality,” he said.



Source link